Sunday, November 23, 2008

Liquid gold

Cohen is three months old today! He is doing great, doing all the usual baby things, mostly eating. Joel says he has his appetite, but I think he gets his insatiable hunger from the both of us. I have talked Joel and the doctor into letting me weigh Cohen on a weekly basis. This past weekend weigh-in put him at 7 lbs, 8 oz. Growin Cohen is also getting a lot stronger, showing more head control and even starting to arch his back. He is also responding more to our voices, which is really neat to watch.

Last week Nancy and Neal came to hang out with us for a few days. They got some quality time in with Cohen, even getting in on some early morning bottle feedings, which I know Joel appreciated. My parents have also been able to spend some time with Cohen lately. My dad and Christy came up this past weekend, while my mom usually comes every other Tuesday to hang out. My good friends Corena and Brian also visited this weekend.

We love having visitors, especially because we don't really take Cohen too many places in hopes we can keep him from getting sick. We have been waiting for the insurance company to approve Synagis for Cohen, a vaccine for RSV (our doc has referred to it as liquid gold). RSV, a common virus during cold and flu season, usually presents as a cold in healthy infants and adults, but for preemies it can be a much bigger deal. Several doctors have told us that if Cohen were to get RSV he would most likely end up back in the hospital. So we are being very vigilant about following doctors orders to protect Cohen from getting sick. So, no letting sick people near the baby, avoiding kids and even passive smoke. Unfortunately, this also means avoiding big crowds, which means that we won't be attending the many Thanksgiving get-togethers we normally do. This has been really tough for me to accept, because I want to share him and show him off to everyone. All in good time I know.

Since we're not going anywhere for Thanksgiving, we thought it would be fun to cook a bird here at home. I've never done this before and am excited to give it a go. Wish me luck:^)

I hope this update finds everyone happy and healthy. Happy Thanksgiving and Good Eats!

No comments: